In Memoriam: Mikhail Gorbachev- the former president of the USSR

Please excuse this long post! No one likes to read these long posts anymore! I remember the Moscow Putsch in August 1991, when Mikhail S. Gorbachev, then the president of the USSR, was placed under house arrest and deposed for a time. I remember how Ronald Reagan pronounced in Berlin words inviting him to tear down that wall and how the times have changed since then. Today, some leaders in our homeland have asked for a wall and some tariffs on goods from other countries. So much for the politics.

After all, some aspects of politics are what muddies the water! I remember Gorbachev’s controversial fight against Alcoholism in the Soviet Union and how the zealots from Stud-Soviets used to show up without an announcement to inspect our dormitory rooms for evidence such as empty bottles of Vodka or beers. Students were let go from academic institutions to find an empty bottles. I remember his rebuilding (perestroika) of the Soviet Union. Now we have our Build Back Better! Not that these are similar situations.

However, we have tons of books about the Soviet Union and works authored by president Gorbachev. In memoriam! Прощайте, Уважаемый Михайл Сергеевич Горбачёв!

I leave you with the clip about the Soviet legacies, in which former UC Berkeley professor and historian Yuri Slezkine speaks!