Wednesday, December 7, 2016, 1:30-2:30pm
Hearing Room 72.167
1500 Capitol Ave, Sacramento
RSVP by Monday, December 5th to Debbie Jan at Debbie.Jan@cdph.ca.gov or (510) 642-2510.
Please obtain your supervisor’s approval before you RSVP.
Supervisors: Please encourage your staff to attend if appropriate.
Did you know:
* You can limit your Google search to a particular domain (eg, .gov or.org) or even to a particular website (eg, cdph.ca.gov)?
* What is and is not included in different Google search products?
* You can import citations directly from Google Scholar into EndNote?
* You can perform cited reference searching in Google Scholar?
* Google Books allows you to read or preview books online?
* WorldCat lets you search for books and more in over 10,000 libraries?
If you’ve answered “No” to any of these questions, then please come to the Sheldon Margen Public Health Google, Google Scholar, Google Books, and WorldCat class!
Topics covered will include:
1. Google search products: what’s in them?
2. Search tips
3. Setting preferences
4. Advanced search & cited reference searching
5. Shortcomings of using Google for research
6. How Google Books and WorldCat link to each other
After this class, you will be able to perform more effective Internet searches, and will better understand the results that you retrieve. In addition, this class will provide you with helpful tips to efficiently search for articles and books.
These training sessions are free to CDPH staff. A certificate of completion will be available for those who attend the class.
A schedule of other upcoming training sessions is available for you here.