We are happy to announce that the Berkeley Research Impact Initiative (BRII) – a program the Library set up to provide funding for open access author fees and more – is now taking applications again. BRII supports UC Berkeley authors (faculty members, post-docs, graduate students, researchers) and publishers (Centers, Organized Research Units, and Departments) to make their publications free to all readers immediately upon publication.
In order to serve the widest demographic and stretch the limited funds, some changes have been made to the program.
For UC Berkeley authors, BRII will support article processing charges (APCs):
- BRII will approve only one application per individual per calendar year
- BRII will subsidize APCs for fully open access journals only (that is, the entire journal must be freely available and not charge a subscription fee). Please note that BRII no longer covers article processing charges for "hybrid" (subscription-based) journals
- Applications can only be made after the article has been accepted by the journal
- If an applicant (or the applicant’s research lab) has secured grant funding, they will be asked to use those funds to pay article processing charges
For UC Berkeley departmental publishers, BRII will support:
- Up to $3000 for a book (per calendar year)
- Up to $4000 for a journal (per calendar year)
Reimbursement requests must be made within 6 months of the date of the BRII application.
For complete details, please see the BRII website. If you have any questions, please let us know.