Beginning January 2013, authors (or their institutions) can pay to make articles in SPIE journals open access under the Creative Commons CC-BY license. The fees are based on the type and length of article with the cost of a Letter estimated to be about $300 and the cost of a full paper averaging $7-800. The program will cover articles in these journals:
- Optical Engineering
- Journal of Biomedical Optics
- Journal of Electronic Imaging; co-published with IS&T
- Journal of Micro/Nanolithography, MEMS, and MOEMS
- Journal of Applied Remote Sensing
- Journal of Nanophotonics
- Journal of Photonics for Energy
Full SPIE press release.
The Berkeley Library has a program to promote the impact of Berkeley research that helps with funding open access publications. See Berkeley Research Impact Initiative for details.