Wednesday, March 28, 10:30am-12:00pm
Room 74.164 Vault
1616 Capitol Ave, Sacramento
RSVP by Tuesday, March 27th to Michael Sholinbeck at firstname.lastname@example.org or (510) 642-2510.
Please obtain your supervisor’s approval before you RSVP.
PLEASE NOTE: This class is limited to 16 participants.
New: In the vault you will need to log in to the computer with your CDPH logon.
Supervisors: Please encourage your staff to attend if appropriate.
Did you know:
* You can limit your Google search to a particular domain (eg, .gov or .org) or even to a particular website (eg, cdph.ca.gov)?
* What is and is not included in different Google search products?
* You can import citations directly from Google Scholar into EndNote?
* You can perform cited reference searching in Google Scholar?
* You can create a profile in Google Scholar, and save your citations there?
* Google Books allows you to read or preview books online?
* WorldCat lets you search for books and more in over 10,000 libraries?
If you’ve answered “No” to any of these questions, then please come to the Google, Google Scholar, Google Books, WorldCat Hands-On class! By popular demand, this class is now HANDS-ON in a computer lab, so you can follow along and explore the websites we visit them in class.
Topics covered will include:
1. Google search products: what’s in them?
2. Search tips
3. Setting preferences
4. Creating a profile in Google Scholar
5. Advanced search and cited reference searching
6. Shortcomings of using Google for research
7. How Google Books and WorldCat link to each other
After this class, you will be able to perform more effective Internet searches, and will better understand the results that you retrieve. In addition, this class will provide you with helpful tips to efficiently search for articles and books.
These training sessions are free to CDPH staff. A certificate of completion will be available for those who attend the class.
A schedule of other upcoming training sessions is available online for you.