The UC Berkeley Libraries are excited to host the HathiTrust Research Center (HTRC) UnCamp, on January 25-26, 2018.
HTRC UnCamp 2018 aims to bring together researchers, developers, instructors, librarians, and other information professionals to showcase innovative research, participate in hands-on coding and demonstration sessions, and build community around themes of digital libraries, metadata, copyright, digital humanities, computational text analysis, and digital pedagogy. The UnCamp will discuss topics relevant to understanding and utilizing the HathiTrust Digital Library, including:
- Demystifying HathiTrust metadata
- Fair use, copyright, and non-consumptive research
- HathiTrust development, news, and updates
- Digital pedagogy and text analysis curricula
- Scholarly tools and methods for text analysis
- Corpus creation
- Early registration price of $100 through November 29, 2017.
- Standard price of $150 begins on November 30, 2017.
HTRC UnCamp 2018 Keynote Speakers
HTRC is excited to welcome keynote speakers Elizabeth Lorang, David Mimno and Leen-Kiat Soh!
Dr. Lorang and Dr. Soh will be presenting about their Image Analysis for Archival Discovery (Aida) project, supported by National Endowment for Humanities (NEH) and Institute for Museum and Library Services (IMLS).
Dr. Mimno will be discussing his text analysis work utilizing HathiTrust and HTRC data.
Call for Proposals: Priority Deadline of October 15
HTRC continues to accept proposals for panel presentations, lightning talks, and posters (more information on the CFP). These may address any aspect of digital text collections, computational text analysis, copyright and open access, digital pedagogy, and related topics, especially as these relate to the HTRC.
Proposals should be submitted through EasyChair:
- Please create an account at EasyChair if you do not have one already and then
- Submit your HTRC UnCamp proposal here
The morning of January 25 will feature several pre-conference activities, free for HTRC UnCamp registrants, including:
- HTRC Crash Course: What Is It and What Can I Do with It?
- Mastering Metadata
- Text Analysis FUN!damentals: Methods, Approaches, Tools and Techniques
- Working with Restricted Collections: Technologies and User and Library Needs
About the HathiTrust Research Center and the HTRC UnCamp
The HTRC is a collaborative research center launched jointly by Indiana University and the University of Illinois, along with the HathiTrust Digital Library, to help meet the technical challenges of dealing with massive amounts of digital text that researchers face by developing cutting-edge software tools and cyberinfrastructure to enable advanced computational access to the growing digital record of human knowledge.
HTRC UnCamp 2018 is being organized with partners at Indiana University, University of California-Berkeley, University of Illinois, HathiTrust Digital Library, and the California Digital Library. The UnCamp will be hosted by the UC Berkeley Libraries in partnership with the Berkeley Institute for Data Science (BIDS), the D-Lab, and the Academic Innovation Studio (AIS).