Do you want to improve your supervisory skills? Are you interested in learning more about the various roles or hats that you are required to wear? Then this free online training might be for you.
The course consists of two modules. The first module introduces the Competing Values Framework and the associated supervisor roles. At times, supervisors are called upon to fill different roles, such as director, producer, broker, innovator, mentor, facilitator, monitor, and coordinator. Each role is explained briefly, through simulated conversations with “real” supervisors. The strengths and weaknesses of each are explored.
The second module asks and answers the question, “What is mastery?” A number of self-assessment tools and interactive elements help you to chart your course to becoming the best supervisor you can be!
After completing the course, the learner will be able to:
* Describe the competing values framework.
* Identify the eight potentially conflicting roles played by supervisors.
* Prioritize roles most appropriate for a supervisor to employ given a situational challenge.
* Describe the five steps to mastery.
* Assess personal challenges, identify areas for further development and develop a plan for change.
* Describe the importance of self knowledge and assessment in understanding the impact of one’s behavior on others.
The target audience for this class is public health professionals including nurses, physicians, and health educators. The course will take about three hours to complete. This class is offered by the New York New Jersey Public Health Training Center.
Continuing education credits available:
* 2.5 Category I CECH in Health Education
* 2.5 Contact Hours in Nursing Continuing Education
* 2.5 Hours in Category One Continuing Medical Education Credit towards the AMA/PRA Physician’s Recognition Award
* 2.5 Hours in Continuing Education Credits