A much needed maintenance project on the Doe Library roof and gutters begins this month and continues through approximately October 31.
Doe Library is 100 years old, and the gutters and drains are original to the building. In several places those are rusted through, and during rainstorms it is unfortunately common to have leaks throughout the building, often over the Art History/Classics Library and collections.
This work is being planned to cause the least possible disruption during fall semester, and especially around mid-terms. The noisiest work will be done from 9pm-9am and during the first four weeks of the project. Some portions of the work will be completed sooner, allowing certain operations to return to normal earlier than the final project completion date.
Visible changes during this project:
- Scaffolding will be placed around the south, east, and west sides of the building; debris chutes and bins will be placed on the south side.
- Update: The Heyns (East) and Rosberg Reading Rooms are closed until Monday November 14. Materials will be paged daily. Reserves have been moved to Moffitt Library.
- The Art History/Classics Library is closed until Thursday October 13.
- The AIDS Memorial Courtyard will be closed, and rearranged to accommodate scaffolding.
- Overall there will be some noise and odors throughout the building during business hours.
While this work is being done, people with UC IDs might consider moving to Moffitt Library and the Gardner (MAIN) Stacks, which will be less impacted.