Wednesday, November 30, 2016, 10:30am-12pm
Computer Training Room 72.169
1500 Capitol Ave, Sacramento
RSVP by Tuesday, November 29th to Michael Sholinbeck
at email@example.com or (510) 642-2510.
Please obtain your supervisor’s approval before you RSVP.
Supervisors: Please encourage your staff to attend if appropriate.
PLEASE NOTE: This class is limited to 12 participants. A waiting list will be created, if appropriate, for an additional class. (Some seats may be available on the day of the class so if you don’t register in advance, you may show up to see if there is availability.)
* Are you interested in learning about databases besides PubMed where you can find articles and more?
* Want to know about sources of systematic reviews and grey literature?
* Want to practice using these databases with some hands-on, in-class exercises?
* Do you want to know how to search for articles more effectively by using index terms (aka subject terms, thesaurus terms, descriptors)?
If you’ve answered “Yes” to any of these questions, then please come to the Sheldon Margen Public Health Library’s Literature Searching: Beyond PubMed & More, Hands-on class!
Topics covered will include:
1. How to think about your topic to improve your literature search
2. The basics of indexing
3. Databases beyond PubMed, including sources for systematic reviews and grey literature
4. Critically evaluating what you find
It is recommended, but not required, that you already have some experience or familiarity with searching PubMed.
In this class you will learn effective techniques for searching the scientific literature, including tips on search topic formulation, and how a database index (a set of subject terms, such as PubMed’s MeSH) works. You will also learn about – and explore – databases to search other than PubMed, including sources of systematic reviews and “grey literature.” Also covered will be how to
critically evaluate what you find from your searches.
These training sessions are free to CDPH staff. A certificate of completion will be available for those who attend the class.
A schedule of other upcoming training sessions is available for you online here.