Library welcomes Berkeley’s 11th chancellor, Carol Christ

The University Library is excited to continue to work closely with the campus’ next chancellor, Carol Christ, in our efforts to inspire and empower future generations of Berkeley students. Christ currently serves as UC Berkeley’s interim executive vice chancellor and provost and is the former president of Smith College. She will be the first woman to serve as chancellor at Berkeley.

“I had never been in a place so deeply committed to widening the doors to educational opportunity,” Christ said in a message to campus on Thursday, after she was confirmed by the UC Board of Regents. She will begin her tenure on July 1. A celebration was held in the Morrison Library Thursday afternoon. “I’m bubbling over with excitement,” said University Librarian Jeffrey MacKie-Mason. “As my current boss, Carol has been an inspiration — I am in awe of her. Throughout her career, she has been a champion of the student experience, and will be a great leader for this great university.”

Chancellor-designate at Morrison Library
“I want your advice. I want your help. I want your intellectual energy and imagination,” Chancellor-designate Carol Christ said at the Morrison Library on Thursday. (Photo by Jay Boncodin for the University Library)
Chancellor-designate and University Librarian walking through the Library
Chancellor-designate Carol Christ with University Librarian Jeffrey MacKie-Mason in the Bancroft Library in September. (Photograph by Max Whittaker for the University Library)

Read more about Chancellor-designate Christ.