Wednesday, May 28, 2014, 1:00 – 2:30pm
Hearing Room 72.167
1500 Capitol Ave, Sacramento
(Turn left as you enter the building and
proceed through the double doors past the
Enterprise Training Room)
RSVP by Monday, May 26th to Michael Sholinbeck at firstname.lastname@example.org or (510) 642-2510. Please obtain your supervisor’s approval before you RSVP.
Supervisors: Please encourage your staff to attend if appropriate.
Were you aware:
* You can have journal articles, technical reports, standards, book chapters, and more, from nearly any source, delivered to you electronically?
* You can have books from the University of California, Berkeley Library delivered to your office?
* CDPH staff has subscription access to dozens of electronic journals and books from your desktop and from off-campus?
* There is a special CDPH PubMed URL to access full journal articles?
* You can export citations of full journal articles directly from Ovid to EndNote?
* Librarians at the Public Health Library, who have access to hundreds of databases, indexes, and other resources, will research nearly any work-related topic for you, and post relevant citations to your own web portal?
* The library has a secure web portal where you can request library services, track your document delivery requests, view your literature search results, and more?
If you’ve answered “No” to any of these questions, then please come to the Sheldon Margen Public Health Library’s Public Health Library Services Orientation and Accessing Full Text Journals class!
Topics covered will include:
1. Summary of Services to CDPH Staff
2. How to Access Public Health Library Services
3. Requesting Articles, Books, etc.
4. An Introduction to Full Text Electronic Journals and Books
5. How to access articles online using a customized version of PubMed, which links to the CDPH-licensed full-text journals
6. Features of the OvidSP web site, including cited reference searching and exporting Ovid records into bibliographic management software (e.g., EndNote)
7. Public Health Library web pages for CDPH
You will be introduced to the library and information services available to you in this session. You will see how to easily locate and obtain full text journal articles from OvidSP, from PubMed searches, and from other sources. You will learn how to find other relevant articles by using the “Citing articles” feature of OvidSP and how to add these citations into your EndNote library. This class will show you how Use of the library services will help you identify and obtain the information needed to complete your work in a timely fashion.
These training sessions are free to CDPH employees. A certificate of completion will be available for those who attend the class.
A schedule of other upcoming training sessions is available online.