PubMed Advanced Hands-On
Wednesday, November 13, 2013
10:00am – 11:30am
Bldg P, Computer Training Room, P-1246
850 Marina Bay Parkway, Richmond, CA
RSVP by Monday, November 11, 2013 to Michael Sholinbeck
at firstname.lastname@example.org or (510) 642-2510.
Please obtain your supervisor’s approval to attend.
NON-BUILDING P OCCUPANTS: Please make sure to register so
your name will be on the class participant list given to
the Building P Security Desk for entry into Building P.
This class will teach you how to create more focused
searches using MeSH and MeSH subheadings and quickly
find “evidence-based medicine” utilizing PubMed’s
pre-defined “evidence-based” queries.
It is highly recommended, but not required, that you
have already taken the PubMed Basics class, or already
have a basic understanding of and ability to search
PubMed. This class will not cover what was covered
in the PubMed Basics class.
PLEASE NOTE: This class is limited to 16 participants.
A waiting list will be created, if necessary, for an
Supervisors: Please encourage your staff to
attend if appropriate.
NEW! A certificate of completion will be available to the
* Want to learn more about finding and using Medical Subject
* Want to know how to effectively use MeSH subheadings?
* Want to learn how to use “evidence-based medicine” filters,
useful for both clinical medicine and epidemiology?
* Want to learn about using PubMed’s Topic-Specific Queries,
such as Comparative Effectiveness, Healthy People 2020,
Health Disparities, and more?
* Need to know if a specific journal is indexed in PubMed?
* Interested in other advanced features of PubMed?
If you’ve answered “yes” to any of these questions, then
please come to the Sheldon Margen Public Health Library’s
PubMed Advanced Hands-On class!
Topics covered will include:
1. More about MeSH
2. Using MeSH Subheadings effectively
3. Clinical Queries
4. Topic-Specific Queries
5. Journals in NCBI Databases
6. Other Advanced PubMed features
These hands-on training sessions are free to CDPH
employees. Please obtain your supervisor’s approval
A schedule of other upcoming training sessions is available online.