UC Berkeley students, faculty, and staff can now use the HathiTrust system to download entire PDF files (not just individual pages) of e-books that are in the public domain. This applies to over 2 million e-books marked as available for “full view.”
- Go to the HathiTrust catalog: www.hathitrust.org
- Do a search using the “Catalog Search” box on the left. Note that you can check a box to limit this to “full view only”.
- Find a full view item and open it up in the catalog.
- If you’re not already logged into the UC Berkeley Library proxy server, click on the “Partners login for full PDF” button on the left, and follow instructions on the screen to log in.
- If you are already logged in, you’ll see a “Full PDF” link on the left. Click on that to download the book.
This service is possible because the University of California libraries are partners in HathiTrust (pronounced “hah-tee”), a national project to create a shared archive of books scanned into electronic format. For more information, see the HathiTrust website.